Thorburn wins Snowman Rallyposted in RSCOT22 | 02 | 2014

    BORDERER EUAN THORBURN capitalised on the misfortune of multiple Scottish rally champ, David Bogie, to win the traditional season-opener, the Snowman Rally in Inverness.

    Bogie, winner of the ARR Craib Scottish Rally Championship for the past five years, immediately showed he will again be the man to beat by being fastest through today's opening two stages, establishing a healthy lead of 26secs.

    But the 26-year-old, co-driven by Hawick's Kevin Rae in their ex-Colin McRae Ford Focus World Rally Car, hit problems just two miles into the third stage, the 11.6-miles at Rogie

    "We suffered a puncture and had to wrestle the car through the remaining nine miles," explained Bogie, who lost 1min 42s to Thorburn, who was fastest through the stage.

    "It was just one of those things, and it's a real pity because we were really flying in the first two stages. After the puncture it was really a case of damage limitation, and ensuring we banked as many championship points as possible."

    The tyre problems meant Bogie started the penultimate stage, the 12.1-miles at Strath Rory, 76secs behind new leader Thorburn.

    Quickest through the final two stages — finishing the day fastest in four of the five forest stages —Bogie fought back to finish fourth, 52s behind the winner.

    Related: David Bogie targets sixth Scottish title

    For Thorburn, piloting another Ford Focus WRC (pictured), the victory helped ease the disappointment of last year's Scottish campaign.

    "Last year we were dogged by various mechanical issues and problems," the delighted Duns driver explained, "and we only managed two wins to David's four.

    "That was frustrating for us, and we know if we'd had the reliability we could really have pushed David hard for the title.

    "To start this season with a win in the opening round is a major boost. Sure David had his problems, but the main thing is we were able to capitalise on them and get the win.

    "Having said that, I think it ranks as one of my hardest wins, as I didn't really feel I was on the pace all day. Plus we broke a brake pipe on the penultimate stage.

    "It's going to be a long, hard season, so every point is going to be crucial."

    Thorburn, co-driven by Paul Beaton from Inverness, eventually finished 34secs ahead of the Mitsubishi Evo of Quintin Milne and Martin Forrest: the Aberdeen duo thanked 'Lady Luck' after a couple of scary moments on the way to their runners-up podium place. Aspatria's Mike Faulkner finished third in another Mitsubishi, just 3s further back.

    Related: Peter Vardy boost for hospice

    Keep up-to-date with all the latest news by following us on

    Jim McGill

    Photo Copyright of LindsayPhotoSport

User Comments

Login or register to post comments.